baslinux - Re: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 16:27:23 +0000 (UTC)

I cannot telnet with the ltmodem "Can't get address for....." and ssh says
PRNG is not seeded.

The first message was for one of my two shell accounts (the other works) and the second may be related to a lack of whatever config file ssh uses, because /etc appears not to have copied to my compressed BL3.40 which I uncompressed on top of 3.3.2. I am also missing the new /etc/issue and /etc/XF86Config. Why would tar -zcvf have skipped /etc?

This still does not explain why BL3.40 works with kernels 2.2.16 and 2.2.26 but BL2 says FATAL: kernel too old. I can't use Ken's ltmodem.tgz with BL2 on this Pentium III.

How would I compile just those two modules for 2.4.31?

A neighbor gave me two lucent PCI modems marked I56LVP-F1 (made in China) and CW56LU-PCI with the same Lucent chips (1996). The former has one more capacitor. Would they be any faster than the older lucent 33K which connected at 52000? The neighbor says he is lucky to get 49333.

I tend to access my mail with DOS because I can print it directly from DOS but not from linux. These modems won't work in DOS. Does anyone want to help figure out why I can't print the mail with linux after setting up all the modules and printcap and switching to 'user' which I need to do to use printcap?