baslinux - Re: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 16:23:01 -0700

sindi keesan wrote:
I downloaded from David's BL3 addon's site Ken's ltmodem.tgz package for
BL3.40 which says it won't work for any other BL that is earlier, but will
it work for BL2?

No, it will not work on BL2, unless you upgrade your BL2 kernel to the
BL3.40 (Linux 2.2.26) kernel. The ltmodem driver consists of a pair of
kernel modules, which were built only for the BL3.40 kernel.

There is another ltmodem driver that should work with the 2.2.16 BL2
kernel - see these three old postings for details:

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2006-January/009322.html
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2006-January/009331.html
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2006-January/009335.html

(The last one contains some other info - scroll down to see the
relevant ltmodem on BL2 details.)

The postings may be difficult to understand because I used both BL3
and BL2. Let me know if anything needs clarification.

We had to recycle the sometimes-booting computer with 4 ISA slots after it
refused to boot with a keyboard plugged in (worked with USB keyboard) and
the next day refused to boot at all, so are stuck with only one ISA slot
now which I wanted to use for sound, and we have a 33K pci ltmodem to play
with which prevented booting in one computer due to a PCI conflict but
worked elsewhere as a winmodem. It was supposed to be upgradeable to 56K
but I think it upgraded to X2 and I don't think the hardware actually
upgraded, it is something in the software that only works in Windows.

It may work at 56K with the Linux driver (which does v.90 and some
v.92). Most of the ltmodem's functionality is actually provided by the
driver, so unlike a regular modem you can often simply upgrade the
driver instead of reflashing the firmware.

Are there 56K V90 lucent pci modems around?

Mine is either V90 or V92: it connects with at least V90 speeds.

The author of xkbset recommended Nvidia. Our other three Nvidia cards
are space heaters. He said to look for a log of what the X server did
somewhere in /var/log but I don't see one - do I need to run some daemon
to create it?

XFree86 4 makes a log. I'm running XFree86 3 right now and I don't see
one. So it must only make a log with the newer version. syslogd, if
you are running that, might provide a record in /var/log/messages.
Otherwise, you can use the > stdout redirection when you start X to
save the on-screen messages to a file.

I see a log on exit from X. What does 'Syntax error:
/..../rgb.txt:756' mean?

It thinks that either your XF86Config or rgb.txt have errors.

James' cmiller link is to sdf, not to a BL3 page.

If you see the SDF page, I think that means his bandwidth usage limit
has been exceeded. You can access his page from archive.org or (I
think) Google's cache.

My page hit the bandwidth limit once after I got linked to from the BL
site, but it is working right now.

My link is to the descriptive page, not the actual files, which are at
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/blfiles.html
is a list of what is what and how to use it without links to the actual
files. It would be better to post both URLs.

Can you put a link to the 'actual files' page in blfiles.html? You
should be able to add a simple <a
href="http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl";>links to files</a> tag.

David