baslinux - Re: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.

  • From: keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 23:39:54 -0000 (UTC)

> sindi keesan wrote:
>> I downloaded from David's BL3 addon's site Ken's ltmodem.tgz package for
>> BL3.40 which says it won't work for any other BL that is earlier, but
>> will
>> it work for BL2?
>
> No, it will not work on BL2, unless you upgrade your BL2 kernel to the
> BL3.40 (Linux 2.2.26) kernel. The ltmodem driver consists of a pair of
> kernel modules, which were built only for the BL3.40 kernel.

This arrived as I was writing my previous posting.

> There is another ltmodem driver that should work with the 2.2.16 BL2
> kernel - see these three old postings for details:
>
> https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2006-January/009322.html
> https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2006-January/009331.html
> https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2006-January/009335.html
>
> (The last one contains some other info - scroll down to see the
> relevant ltmodem on BL2 details.)
>
> The postings may be difficult to understand because I used both BL3
> and BL2. Let me know if anything needs clarification.

How difficult would it be to compile the modules for 2.4.31, which I have
been using most of the time on my desktop computers?
(Maybe you can do it?)

>> We had to recycle the sometimes-booting computer with 4 ISA slots after
>> it
>> refused to boot with a keyboard plugged in (worked with USB keyboard)
>> and
>> the next day refused to boot at all, so are stuck with only one ISA slot
>> now which I wanted to use for sound, and we have a 33K pci ltmodem to
>> play
>> with which prevented booting in one computer due to a PCI conflict but
>> worked elsewhere as a winmodem. It was supposed to be upgradeable to
>> 56K
>> but I think it upgraded to X2 and I don't think the hardware actually
>> upgraded, it is something in the software that only works in Windows.
>
> It may work at 56K with the Linux driver (which does v.90 and some
> v.92). Most of the ltmodem's functionality is actually provided by the
> driver, so unlike a regular modem you can often simply upgrade the
> driver instead of reflashing the firmware.

That explains why I got Connect 52000, it is a recent linux driver.
The Windows upgrade did not actually flash the hardware.

>> Are there 56K V90 lucent pci modems around?
>
> Mine is either V90 or V92: it connects with at least V90 speeds.
>
>> The author of xkbset recommended Nvidia. Our other three Nvidia cards
>> are space heaters. He said to look for a log of what the X server did
>> somewhere in /var/log but I don't see one - do I need to run some daemon
>> to create it?
>
> XFree86 4 makes a log. I'm running XFree86 3 right now and I don't see
> one. So it must only make a log with the newer version. syslogd, if
> you are running that, might provide a record in /var/log/messages.
> Otherwise, you can use the > stdout redirection when you start X to
> save the on-screen messages to a file.

I can exit and then Shift-PgUp to see what happened too.

>> I see a log on exit from X. What does 'Syntax error:
>> /..../rgb.txt:756' mean?
>
> It thinks that either your XF86Config or rgb.txt have errors.

756 being the line number? X loads anyway. Maybe I won't get
PalePetalPink or some such thing. Can I ignore this?

>> James' cmiller link is to sdf, not to a BL3 page.
>
> If you see the SDF page, I think that means his bandwidth usage limit
> has been exceeded. You can access his page from archive.org or (I
> think) Google's cache.
>
> My page hit the bandwidth limit once after I got linked to from the BL
> site, but it is working right now.
>
>> My link is to the descriptive page, not the actual files, which are at
>> http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl
>>
>> http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/blfiles.html
>> is a list of what is what and how to use it without links to the actual
>> files. It would be better to post both URLs.
>
> Can you put a link to the 'actual files' page in blfiles.html? You
> should be able to add a simple <a
> href="http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl";>links to files</a> tag.

I could if I could get ssh or telnet to work with ltmodem. I will try
Kermit telnet next. Can you try ltmodem with ssh and telnet?

Sindi