baslinux - [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] ltmodem, member contributions pages and misc.
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 21:43:48 +0000 (UTC)

I downloaded from David's BL3 addon's site Ken's ltmodem.tgz package for BL3.40 which says it won't work for any other BL that is earlier, but will it work for BL2?

We had to recycle the sometimes-booting computer with 4 ISA slots after it refused to boot with a keyboard plugged in (worked with USB keyboard) and the next day refused to boot at all, so are stuck with only one ISA slot now which I wanted to use for sound, and we have a 33K pci ltmodem to play with which prevented booting in one computer due to a PCI conflict but worked elsewhere as a winmodem. It was supposed to be upgradeable to 56K but I think it upgraded to X2 and I don't think the hardware actually upgraded, it is something in the software that only works in Windows. Are there 56K V90 lucent pci modems around? This one is just for practice since we have several external 33K modems that also work in DOS. My other option is the ES1370 PCI sound card (from a computer with fried motherboard and power supply) without AWE support - has it worked for anyone in BL? qemu supports it.

The replacement computer (from a dumpster, came with stripey video and power supply problem) is 700MHz and has two ISA slots. We put in an Nvidia Riva128 AGP card which astonishingly does both Xvesa and SVGA X and 16-bit color at 1280 (but is too high frequency for 1600 on this monitor).
When set to 24-bit color the X server defaulted to 8-bit, but when set to 16-bit it worked as that. 4MB RAM.

The author of xkbset recommended Nvidia. Our other three Nvidia cards are space heaters. He said to look for a log of what the X server did somewhere in /var/log but I don't see one - do I need to run some daemon to create it? I see a log on exit from X. What does 'Syntax error: /..../rgb.txt:756' mean?

James' cmiller link is to sdf, not to a BL3 page.

My link is to the descriptive page, not the actual files, which are at
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/blfiles.html
is a list of what is what and how to use it without links to the actual files. It would be better to post both URLs.