baslinux - Re: [BL] X libraries problems in BL3.40

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X libraries problems in BL3.40
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 01:07:32 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 16 May 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

On Tue, 16 May 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I just remembered that xpdf package includes:
pdftops
pdftoppm
These are non-X programs.

Does that mean your pdf problem is fixed?
Instead of using X to run xpdf 3.1, you convert
them to ps/ppm and use a ps/ppm viewer instead?

I just tried out bmv.
With libvga.so.1 linked to the uclibc libvga.so.1.4.3
it segfaults. (This is needed by David's uclibc zgv to work with
kernel 2.4.31).

With the SW4.0 libvga.so.1.3.1 it says 'relocation error...libvga.so.1 _fxstat.....'

This is the same problem I had with X libraries. The program was compiled for glibc 2.2 (Debian) and must also need libvga compiled for glibc 2.
I don't want to try compiling it myself. (I compiled an earlier version with help, but without support for rotation - bmvold.tgz at my site).

With the Slackware 7.1 (glibc 2.1.3) libvga.so.1.4.3 from BL2 it works except it needs ghostscript from Slackware 7.1 to actually display anything. I could add Slackware 7.1 ghostscript to use it, and replace libvga.so.1.4.3-uclibc with Slackware 7.1 version of libvga.so.1.4.3 and then bmv for libc2 would work.

GS 5.10 (SW7.1) uses about 4MB of fonts, then a lot of .ps files which I might need only for printing (bjc, epson).

I was unable to compile the latest gs with svgalib support.

The older gs will work on all ps files even if they came from a pdf 1.5 file, but it is rather large if you include the fonts.

I don't want to add 10MB of ghostscript in order to use bmv as a viewer of ps files.

This leaves pdftotext, pdfimages, and pdftoppm.

pdfimages produces .pbm files from scanned documents that were packaged in pdf format. That is most of what I am asked to read.

pdftotext works only if there is text in the document and it is not encrypted.

For mixed text and images, pdftoppm converts one pdf to several pages of ppm image viewable with zgv or xv (but not xli, though netpbm can convert ppm to gif). It also wants 14 display fonts. Precompiled xpdf statically included FreeType and I presume the CLI pdftoppm looks for X fonts.

To use xpdf (with these same fonts) I think I could temporarily symlink to the SW7.1 libX11.so. file and use the method of running one X program without rxvt or icewm:

(Xvesa -screen 1024x768x15); DISPLAY=:0 xpdf filename.pdf

There remains the problem of fonts. The 75dpi fonts in BL2 occupy 1167K (over 1MB) and have names starting in cour and helv and tim and symb. cour comes in varieties plain, B BO O and R.

xpdf and pdftoppm want Courier, Helvetica, and Times, in plain, Bold, BoldOblique and Oblique (italic), plus Symbol and ZapfDingbats.

Could I copy over just the cour???.pcf.gz from BL2 /fonts/75dpi and make a fonts.alias to display cour helv tim plain/bold/italic all as plain courier instead of using 12 different sets of fonts? Which font in /75dpi is ZapfDingbats?

The fonts.alias in BL3 /misc fonts directory lists about a page of:
-schumacher-clean-medium-r-normal
-b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal
-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal ....
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal-...

Was this added so that some program (Abiword?) would work properly and if so could a few more similar lines be added to make xpdf work correctly with the existing fonts? Or could something similar be written up for a /75dpi directory in BL3 to use one set of plain courier fonts instead o fa a megabyte of fonts with xpdf?

BL3 has no .pcf.gz fonts, just /100dpi/c0632bt_.pfb, an Adobe Bitstream font. What is this used for in BL3?

I just copied over all the /75dpi fonts from BL2 and pdftoppm still complains of no display fonts. xfnts.tgz contains only the files in /misc /PEX and /75dpi. So installing it is unlikely to help (assuming the SW4.0 and SW7.1 packages are identical).