baslinux - Re: [BL] X libraries problems in BL3.40

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X libraries problems in BL3.40
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 05:24:23 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 17 May 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Have you got Slackware 4.0 xpdf working in BL3?

Yes. I needed to add the xfnts package and another
package -- don't remember which -- maybe elflibs?
ldd will tell you what's missing.

I looked in the xpdf*.tar.gz packages and there is a /usr/local/etc/sample-xpdfrc file which I had copied to xpdfrc. It contains something like fonts.alias, and one possible source of fonts 'standard X server fonts'. A second possibility is the ghostscript fonts. GS 5.10 has 4MB of fonts. xpdf uses fonts starting in n0 (courier, helvetica and times?), s (symbol), and d (dingbat). I copied over from BL2 all the n0* d0* and s0* files. I may only need the ones ending in .pfb, and listed in xpdfrc.

They have examples of default mappings. Here is the one for ghostscript fonts:

'These map the Base-14 fonts to the Type 1 fonts that ship with ghostscript'.
#displayFontT1 Times-Roman /usr/local/share/ghostscript/fonts/n021031.pfb
(more for italic, bold, and bold-italic, which I could map all to plain, and for Helvetica and Courier 4 each, and I could map all 12 of these to n0210031.pfb. The pfb files are about 33-40K each and I think I could manage with one courier file, one symbol and one dingbat (or probably no dingbat, point it at courier instead).

I copied over all 610K of all the n0 s0 and d0 .pfb files for a quick experiment. There are 16 of the character files so I could delete four of them (lucida?) leaving 4 each for times, helvetica and courier. Or I could reduce this to 1 instead of 16 or 12 files, of about 35K (non bold and non italic). But I have 600K free space on the laptop hard disks, which is a lot better than 4MB of ALL the ghostscript fonts or 1.4MB of xfnts.tgz (of which 1.1M is 75dpi - does 100 dpi look better?)

pdftoppm now works. It goes much faster with -mono -r 75 than the default color 150 resolution. I don't know if 16MB RAM could handle higher resolution in real time (and with 16MB swap file).

The 75dpi files appear to come in sets of 6 .pcf.gz files of 5-6K each, rather than one uncompressed file of 33-40K as in ghostscript. I could not identify which were dingbat, as I could for ghostscript (d0).

Are the X fonts optimized for screen viewing and the ghostscript files for legibility printed? Lucida is a screen font - I might try to point xpdfrc at that.

This was much more interesting than installing a complete fonts package.

>> opera (but there is no way to enlarge the window
to fill the screen without a window manager)

opera -geometry 800x600

Thanks. But running without a window manager also forces me to use the mouse to change focus. I dont' think swm would help in that respect.