baslinux - Re: [BL] Upgrading BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Upgrading BL3
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 13:11:19 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, James Miller wrote:

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

Perhaps it would be easier to install the earlier version of IRAF on a
smaller linux - Slackware 4.0 (or Basiclinux 3.40, which uses the same
library but a newer kernel).

They seem to provide files for the current version of IRAF for Slack40: I
So why did he say only Redhat and SuSE linux were supported? I should go look at the IRAF site.

think that's what David was referring to. He downloaded that thinking he
might get it to run under BL 3.4, since it's based on Slack 4.0, but he
couldn't figure out the program and what to do to run it. Your firend
could surely do a Slack 4.0 install to his laptop: I doubt even the
fullest possible install of Slack 4.0 would take up more than a gigabyte.
You have a bootable Slack 4.0 CD he could use to try this, right?

I do but he lives in Texas. He has broadband.
He installed 4GB of BSD and ran out of space for the program itself.
He was not sure of the dependencies so did a large install.

Maybe he could start over on the laptop, without qemu, in a 1GB or 2GB
partition (would that be enough to expand IRAF into, with a few 100MB for
the dependencies in linux?). That would be one layer less of complexity
without the emulator. You can look up which packages contain which
libraries and install only the parts you need, which are often only 10% of
a package.

The laptop has a 4GB hard drive.

If he's looking for more current alternatives to Slack 4.0, but ones that
won't fill up that HD, send him to http://www.rule-project.org/ . It's a
project that allows installation of the latest Fedora to older,
underpowered hardware. Uses kdrive.

Thanks. Kdrive is like Xvesa, I think.

James