baslinux - Re: [BL] Upgrading BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Upgrading BL3
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 03:00:02 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

and install only the parts you need, which are
often only 10% of a package.

It is safer to install complete packages.

But that is exactly how you put together BL3

No it isn't.

You extract just the required libraries for BL3, and for add-ons such as the xlibs package.

Why install the entire glibc package when you need
only two files from it?

Because it is the foundation library for everything else.
The move from libc5 to glibc2 is major -- you need to be
absolutely sure all the bits are right.

I bit the bullet and have the SW9.1 glibc 2.3.1 on one computer, not the one which I use to compile. I will attempt to install qemu to it after extracting the required libraries from some package on my CD. (Or are they in your xlib.tgz package?).

I just downloaded the binaries for sqlite 2.8.17 (Dec 2005) and 3.3.5 (April 2006) with a lot of bug fixes. They are about 300 and 350K and your static version from Oct 2004 (which version?) is about double that.
They needed glibc 2.3, and probably other precompiled programs will too.

Now I need to figure out how to use sqlite after converting my dbf file to sql. (I found a small convertor).

Or all of xbin?

It is OK to cherry-pick the xbin from Slackware 4.0.
However, I do not recommend this for an xbin in a
more recent Slackware.

I did it for BL2.1 (Slackware 7.1) and it worked with Xvesa.

I recommend You install glibc 2.3. It's no bigger
than 2.2 and more and more stuff is requiring it now.

Like sqlite. My DOS database program is too slow and buggy and the linux
version of it is even buggier.

The main file itself is probably considerably bigger,

libc-2.3.1.so 1262496

You are right, libc-2.2.5.so is 1237848, about 25K smaller.
I installed SW9.1 libc-2.3.2.so which is 1458907 since I had the CD.

they just left out some of the files ending in .a.

The .a files are just used for compiling.

For statically compiling against libc? I don't do that.

All the libc .so files from SW91 with 2.3.2 in their names total using wc
total about 2.8MB. The ones with 2.2.5 total 1.87MB. So it does come to an extra MB between SW8.1 and SW9.1. Some files grew a little, some a lot. libBrokenLocale grew from 3760 to 74590 - do we need it for anything if we only use English on the computer?

The new ld-2.3.2.so is about 700K and the old one 83K, which accounts for most of the difference. Why so much bigger? Both are statically linked.

Is it possible to compile a smaller ld file that does most of what we need it to do?