baslinux - Re: [BL] Upgrading BL3

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Upgrading BL3
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 07:19:07 +1200

sindi keesan wrote:

> > > and install only the parts you need, which are
> > > often only 10% of a package.
> >
> > It is safer to install complete packages.
>
> But that is exactly how you put together BL3

No it isn't.

> Why install the entire glibc package when you need
> only two files from it?

Because it is the foundation library for everything else.
The move from libc5 to glibc2 is major -- you need to be
absolutely sure all the bits are right.

> Or all of xbin?

It is OK to cherry-pick the xbin from Slackware 4.0.
However, I do not recommend this for an xbin in a
more recent Slackware.

> > I recommend You install glibc 2.3. It's no bigger
> > than 2.2 and more and more stuff is requiring it now.
>
> The main file itself is probably considerably bigger,

libc-2.3.1.so 1262496

> they just left out some of the files ending in .a.

The .a files are just used for compiling.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru