baslinux - Re: [BL] Upgrading BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Upgrading BL3
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 01:01:04 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

It worked for me to install just a few files (ld-linux, libc and libm, I
think) in order to use Opera 7. Plus some X libraries.

Plus the glibc networking libraries, even though they are not listed
by ldd for some reason.

But what about the SW10.2 glibc?

SW10.2 glibc does not work with Linux 2.2.x, so you should not try it
I am using a 2.4.31 kernel on that computer, which also works with BL3.
We tried it on a laptop with USB.

unless you are planning a kernel upgrade as well. The SW10.2 glibc
does not work with kernel 2.2 because support for 2.2 was left out
during compiling to slightly reduce the size.

Is this the only reason not to upgrade from 9.1 to 10.2 glibc?
With the SW10.2 kernel 2.4.31 and glibc I could then run some precompiled programs from Slackware or elsewhere on one computer (and continue compiling for glibc 2.2.5 on the other).

I have BL2 on all the desktops and BL3 on the laptops, with kernel 2.4.31 as an alternate for occasional use with USB camera and memory stick, and will try upgrading one of them to SW9.0 glibc.

It is not all that simple to downgrade a library. I think I would need to
boot with some other linux, delete everything 2.3.2, run ldlinux - is that
right? And first download the 2.3.2 so libs for 30 minutes.

The 2.3.1 solibs package is 1.0MB.
I meant 2.3.1.

I can't really lose by doing another upgrade to the SW10.2 glibc first and
trying abiword with that. (First we may upgrade the power supply so it
will boot more than once a day).

All of your glibc applications will stop working if you switch to
SW10.2 glibc. However, if you still have BL3 busybox, this will not
prevent BL3 from booting.

Is this only if I continue to use a 2.2 kernel?

I am using BL2, with a busybox 1.10 that I compiled myself (uClibc) and kernel 2.4.31 for USB support (custom-compiled with scsi support and linux on a scsi hard drive in two computers).

Anything wrong with putting SW10.2 glibc on the desktops with kernel 2.4.31 (BL2) and SW9.0 glibc on the dekstops and laptops with kernel 2.2.26 (BL3)? Then I can use BL2 to print.

I prefer not to use the larger kernel on the laptops but maybe it won't hurt, with 16-24MB RAM.

David