baslinux - Re: [BL] Upgrading BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Upgrading BL3
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 13:14:21 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

You can look up which packages contain which libraries
and install only the parts you need, which are often
only 10% of a package.

As you know, I do not recommend this. It is safer to
install complete packages.

But that is exactly how you put together BL3, only the essential libraries, and your no-xvesa.tgz and x-libs.tgz. Why install the entire glibc package when you need only two files from it? Or all of xbin?

Is there an older qemu binary around that does not need glibc 2.3?

I recommend You install glibc 2.3. It's no bigger
than 2.2 and more and more stuff is requiring it now.

The main file itself is probably considerably bigger, they just left out some of the files ending in .a. I have it on one computer (SW9.1 glibc).
I suspect it also takes up more RAM - want to check? I prefer to keep using SW8.1 glibc so I can compile with it and use the results on all my computers including those with low memory and smaller hard drives.