baslinux - Re: [BL] BL 3.40 preliminary GRUB report

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL 3.40 preliminary GRUB report
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:37:49 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

As you can see, syslinux is only 9k, compared with about 100k for
GRUB. syslinux also installs to a FAT filesystem, which has less
overhead than ext2 for a floppy-sized image. There is a variant of

Could we use syslinux instead of loadlin to boot from DOS?

AFAIK syslinux doesn't run inside of DOS, it only runs when it is
executed by your PC's BIOS.

syslinux that boots from ext2 instead, it's called extlinux.
COuld it be used with Bl3.40 floppy instead of lilo?

Sure. But what advantage would that gain?

David

How big is lilo on the BL3.40 FD? (I have not downloaded it yet).
I thought syslinux would be smaller. Or extlinux.