baslinux - [BL] wget vs ftp

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] wget vs ftp
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:51:23 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
sindi keesan wrote:
I don't think there is any ftp download program

wget

links also does ftp downloads

I shift alot of data around on my little LAN using ftp, so I'd like to see a fuller ftp in BL, too. But maybe it's owing to ignorance that I miss it? I've used wget for dwonloading large files (isos) by both ftp and http on the web and it works well. But at home, I sometimes want to copy not just a file, but a whole directory. I was trying to puzzle out how to do that using BL's wget today, however, and couldn't. And, unfortunately the directory has a really long and complex name, which also would make using wget (if BL's will even download whole directories) kind of a pain. In full wget the -r switch is supposed to be for recursive downloading, which sounds like what I'd need to get a whole directory. But BL's wget doesn't want to accept the -r switch. Any pointers on this? Links won't interact with my ftp server here (seems to fail with many on the 'net, too), either.

James