baslinux - Re: [BL] BL 3.40 preliminary GRUB report

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL 3.40 preliminary GRUB report
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:12:20 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, James Miller wrote:

I've got BL 3 booting with GRUB (under qemu, but I assume it would work as
well on real hardware and am prepared to test that if needed). I've found
GRUB to be superior to Lilo for a number of reasons, not least of which is
that you only need to edit a text file to add additional booting options
(e.g., other kernels)--no need to do the lilo -v thing. Before writing up
a how to and going to other lengths, I just want to give a report to see
if what I'm doing with GRUB is of interest to other BL users or developer.
GRUB is fairly small: the stage 1 and stage 2 files I've put on my BL
install, along with other needed files, take up less than 100kb. Given
its small size, does it seem to others like GRUB would be appropriate for
BL? I'm guessing it's bigger than the Lilo Steven includes, but maybe its
other benefits will tilt the scales in its favor.

James

Something easier than LILO would be nice as an add-on package. How big is the LILO on the 2-floppy BL3.40? How big is syslinux (which David used to set up a 1-floppy USB linux)?