baslinux - Re: [BL] BasicLinux 2.1 or 3.2 ISO files

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasicLinux 2.1 or 3.2 ISO files
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:08:10 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Will wget or links download from a non-public home directory, or just from
the directory pointed to by the http daemon?

wget allows you to log in to ftp sites, at least in BL3.4.

wget ftp://username:password AT ftp.example.org/opt/file.tgz
David

That is working for me at my freeshell account to download links2ssl.gz. Steven, please put a copy at the add-ons site for BL3.40.

This new links2 takes up .2M less RAM than the delilinux version (which has more dependencies since it is dynamically compiled for libtiff etc.), but even when used without a wm, X takes up some RAM. For old laptops with 8MB-12MB RMA, an svgalib version would be useful. WOuld a version compiled to work in only svgalib take up less RAM than one compiled to work with both svgalib and X?

Would anyone (some day maybe me) be willing to put together a svgalib (two libraries, libvga and libvgagl) plus links2ssl-svgalib-dynamic (for libtiff etc., but static for uclibc or maybe dynamic for libc6) plus latest-zgv plus graphics library (libjpeg, libpng, libtiff) package for use on old laptops with not much RAM that don't run X well, or at all?

This worked for ftp download from my own home directory:

ftp://keesan:mypassword AT ftp.freeshell.org/arpa/gm/k/keesan/links2ssl.gz
It does not work with ~keesan instead of the full path name.
I made a script by substituting $1 for the file name (and path if not in the main directory), one script for each shell account.

Can I somehow list the directory contents with wget like I could with regular ftp, instead of telnetting or ssh'ing there first and using ls?

I could also telnet there and move the file of interest to my web directory and download with links from there. Can I use links to download from my home directory, with username and password as with wget? I tried to 'g' to ftp.freeshell.org/arpa/gm/k/keesan - file not found. Ditto if I add a file name.