baslinux - Re: [BL] midi with pci sound card, OSS

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] midi with pci sound card, OSS
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 01:15:44 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

http://timidity.sourceforge.net/

That won't get me external midi playing, and I don't need it if I have
AWE.

but it'll work if you have neither...
You mean with SBlive cards?

Also, if you do not have a midi synthesizer, this will work with cards
that only do FM synthesis.

I may resort to this if I ever run out of ISA slots on all my computers.

Fluidsynth is similar to Timidity, but it uses the AWE soundfonts.
Why use it if you have drvmidi or playmidi that use AWE?

playmidi -r is for realtime note display...

I know. Why would it segfault? That leads me to believe there is some
motherboard incompatibility with linux and sound.

I think that this may be a bug with the playmidi source code because I
have seen playmidi -r also segfault on two other distributions.

Same software works elsewhere, has to be hardware. memtest was happy.

CPU incompatibility with the binary, perhaps?

So maybe there is also some incompatibility with playmidi -4 as well, since I can't do FM synthesis, and I don't think I need pnp capability for that, just for AWE. Time to switch computers.

btw, the FM synthesis chips were never intended to play general
midi... ill upload some files later to show you what the OPL3 is
really capable of...
Thanks.

OPL3 sounds much better if you load the free 3rd-party instruments.
You can load them with ALSA (in fact, you are required to before you
will get any sound, just like the AWE), but I don't think that you can
with any other sound system.

I have OSS. I don't really care about FM synthesis, other than the fact that it is not working at all on this one computer, since I have AWE.

How would I 'set it up'?
Do I need to specify io -
insmod sb ..... mpu_io=330?

its a seperate module; mpu401.o

That should help! I will try it on the computer where AWE works.

With some drivers the mpu-401 support is built into the main driver so
you do not need to load this module. I bet that if the driver accepts
the mpu_io option that it has mpu-401 support built in.

sb.o I think accepts that option. Looks like my problem is in pnp and maybe the 16-track midi playing to a 1-track piano.

For piano I probably only need 1 track.

That is correct.

This page seems to say that many Clavinova models are GM-compatible:
http://www.stagepass.com/midi/midichart.html
I will check it out for my 1986 model. If some are not, probably they would be the older models.

So do I need to convert to 1-track, even though only 1 of the 16 tracks is being specified in the 16-track midi file?

there -is- a windows port of the gimp.... might want to look into it...
Thanks, that sounds less annoying.

You can save printer settings in the gimp permanently by clicking the
large 'Save settings' or 'Print and save settings' button in the printer
dialog (it appears just after you click Print... to choose resolution and
size)

First we need to unclog the printer. Maybe I can just install the GIMP in BL2 on my one computer with SW9.1 glibc, if the SW9.1 precompiled version supports this printer.

We learned to label photos with ppmlabel.
Sindi

David