baslinux - Re: [BL] BL 3.32 in qemu report/questions

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL 3.32 in qemu report/questions
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:09:27 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

I tried icewm, but it won't start: how come?

Did you actually have X working before installing icewm?

Yes. I now understand part of the problem was that the icewm menu was being pushed off the bottom of the screen (qemu window) because I reset resolution to 1024x768. The background color wasn't showing either, though. But that's a bit of a moot issue now since I've abandonded that 3.32 install, having upgraded it to 3.40 (mounted fs.img and basically copied everything to the qemu disk image I had made). On the "new" 3.40 install I've done, icewm is working fine.

I've also got BL booting with grub under qemu. I'm thinking of making a qemu image of BL3.4 and making that available for those who might wish to test BL (or use it for other nefarious purposes on machines that have some other more mainstream OS installed on them). Any interest in such a qemu image, anyone? I can also finally provide instructions for getting BL to boot using grub, as I promised to do a long time ago.

Also, I see your icewm package installation routine overwrites
.xinitrc -- which proved to be not a little problematic in my case,
Wouldn't it be wiser for the routine to save the current .xinitrc
as .xinitrc.swm or .xinitrc.bak rather than just to overwrite it?

It does! The old .xinitrc is called .xinitrc~

In root's directory? I don't see it there, though I do see .xinitrc (so I can view hidden files). Wonder what happened?

I've also installed Abiword, but I cannot get it to start
from the CLI (can't open the display 0.0).

It doesn't run from the CLI. It runs from X.

Actually, I meant from the CLI in an xterm. Maybe my terminology was off? Anyway, it would not start under that 3.32 install I did. But under the new 3.4 install, it does run when abiword is issued from the xterm, as it
also runs from the icewm menu.

One other thing I've noted: naim is not logging me in. I get prompted for a password after I enter my user name, but it never finishes authenticating. That naim is actually an older version, and there were some problems getting older versions to get and stay online, since AOL performed some changes to their network. Perhaps the newer version of naim (0.11.8) would work where this one fails? Wanna make another attempt at compiling it, David?

I'll try and get to Opera soon, if I can continue to devote some time to this project.

James