baslinux - Re: [BL] midi with pci sound card, OSS

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] midi with pci sound card, OSS
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 15:41:04 -0700

sindi keesan wrote:

> >> That won't get me external midi playing, and I don't need it if I have
> >> AWE.
> >
> > but it'll work if you have neither...
> You mean with SBlive cards?

Also, if you do not have a midi synthesizer, this will work with cards
that only do FM synthesis.

Fluidsynth is similar to Timidity, but it uses the AWE soundfonts.

> >> I know. Why would it segfault? That leads me to believe there is some
> >> motherboard incompatibility with linux and sound.

I think that this may be a bug with the playmidi source code because I
have seen playmidi -r also segfault on two other distributions.

> Same software works elsewhere, has to be hardware. memtest was happy.

CPU incompatibility with the binary, perhaps?

> > btw, the FM synthesis chips were never intended to play general
> > midi... ill upload some files later to show you what the OPL3 is
> > really capable of...
> Thanks.

OPL3 sounds much better if you load the free 3rd-party instruments.
You can load them with ALSA (in fact, you are required to before you
will get any sound, just like the AWE), but I don't think that you can
with any other sound system.

> >> How would I 'set it up'?
> >> Do I need to specify io -
> >> insmod sb ..... mpu_io=330?
> >
> > its a seperate module; mpu401.o
>
> That should help! I will try it on the computer where AWE works.

With some drivers the mpu-401 support is built into the main driver so
you do not need to load this module. I bet that if the driver accepts
the mpu_io option that it has mpu-401 support built in.

> For piano I probably only need 1 track.

That is correct.

This page seems to say that many Clavinova models are GM-compatible:
http://www.stagepass.com/midi/midichart.html

> > there -is- a windows port of the gimp.... might want to look into it...
> Thanks, that sounds less annoying.

You can save printer settings in the gimp permanently by clicking the
large 'Save settings' or 'Print and save settings' button in the printer
dialog (it appears just after you click Print... to choose resolution and
size)

David