baslinux - [BL] BL 3.32 in qemu report/questions

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL 3.32 in qemu report/questions
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 16:18:56 -0500 (CDT)

I've recently found a little time for BL experimentation. I had wanted earlier to try and get BL3 going under qemu, but couldn't take the time for it. Since I recently fiddled with BL2 and qemu in response to a poster's questions, I decided to have another go at BL3 under qemu. I got it to install and run, and I have some questions. First though, a brief descritpion of how I installed BL3.

I used the Ultimate Boot CD iso to boot BL3(.32). First though, I created a qemu virtual disk. I also downloaded BL3 floppy images. So, when I booted the iso under qemu and selected to boot BL3, I had stipulated the qemu disk image as the hard drive and the BL3 boot floppy as the floppy drive. The installation worked with these specifications. I can go into further detail if needed.

So, now that I have BL3 running, I installed some add-ons. I tried icewm, but it won't start: how come? Also, I see your icewm package installation routine overwrites .xinitrc--which proved to be not a little problematic in my case, Steven. Wouldn't it be wiser for the routine to save the current .xinitrc as .xinitrc.swm or .xinitrc.bak rather than just to overwrite it? I've also installed Abiword, but I cannot get it to start from the CLI (can't open the display 0.0). What's the secret to getting it to run? I might also try installing and running Opera: any instructions (Sindi?) on that? Finally, will BL3.4 come out in a floppy version any time soon? If not, is there a way to sort of "upgrade" this BL3.32 install to 3.4? I could probably mount the qemu disk image as a looped filesystem. Is there a way to mount BL3.4 similarly and just copy stuff over? If I just loop mount fs.img, for example?

Thanks, James