baslinux - Re: [BL] BasicLinux 2.1 or 3.2 ISO files

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasicLinux 2.1 or 3.2 ISO files
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 15:15:47 +0000 (UTC)

the ISPs were all too propriatary in their software.

Yes, most ISPs expect Windows. However, I have been able to
use Linux to connect to every ISP I have tried (4 out of 4).

8 out of 8 for me. I use the same DNS numbers every time.

All refused to consider supporting Linux.

None of my four ISPs supported Linux either. You just need
to know what you are doing.

By 'support' they mean they won't help you set it up, not that it will not work. A friend was told his school broadband system did not support linux, but the people running it helped him to get it working anyway - it is just that you don't get their CD that installs the virus checker etc. (You don't need it with linux).

There are (or were, anyway) a few free ISPs that support themselves by advertising and require Windows and IE to display the ads. I used one of those with DOS for a while (no ads) but they all seem to really require Windows (or Mac) now.

Some thought even trying something other than their own
provided software and MS IE

All Linux needs is username, password and telephone number.
It's also nice to have their DNS address (but it's not essential).

violated their user agreement and could lead to immediate
termination of membership.

What is their user agreement? Do you pay them for the service?

Sounds like a good reason to change ISPs.

In this country you can get an internet connection for $5/month and up. The two more expensive ones I have experience with are the least supportive.