baslinux - Re: [BL] BasicLinux 2.1 or 3.2 ISO files

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasicLinux 2.1 or 3.2 ISO files
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 18:28:31 +1200

t.maiden AT att.net wrote:

> You may think a linux system that is 50 to 100 meg is over large

It's not just the size of the distribution, it's the RAM
requirement. BasicLinux is designed for 486s with little
RAM. BL2 runs in 8mb RAM. BL3 runs in 3mb RAM.
IIRC DSL needs a minumum of 64mb (or is it 128mb?).

> I have never been able to connect to the internet
> via a ISP using Linux PPP program or the DVdial

Didn't the wizards work?

> the ISPs were all too propriatary in their software.

Yes, most ISPs expect Windows. However, I have been able to
use Linux to connect to every ISP I have tried (4 out of 4).

> All refused to consider supporting Linux.

None of my four ISPs supported Linux either. You just need
to know what you are doing.

> Some thought even trying something other than their own
> provided software and MS IE

All Linux needs is username, password and telephone number.
It's also nice to have their DNS address (but it's not essential).

> violated their user agreement and could lead to immediate
> termination of membership.

Sounds like a good reason to change ISPs.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru