baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera with BL 3.40 Re: BL3.40 pkg "invalid tar magic"

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera with BL 3.40 Re: BL3.40 pkg "invalid tar magic"
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 02:33:11 +0000 (UTC)

Opera 7.23 works offline with BL3.40 and the relevant libraries from glibc 2.2.5, along with the X libraries from BL3 and icewm. It does not access websites (Network problem). What other libraries could I try updating before I switch to BL2? Our friend would like something usable by Monday.

Links2 does not do enough javascript at tdwaterhouse site (won't login or do searches) but it works fine online, as does lynx-uclibc (2.8.6dev16).

The static lynx I compiled worked offline and not online with libc5, but adding glibc made it work online with BL1.

I am using David's later pppd (static), which works with BL3 and BL2 if I use ppp_generic and ppp_async modules as well. I tried both kernel 2.2.26 and 2.4.31.

Our friend, who finds Windows confusing, is happy with linux and links. We made 1-letter scripts (s for startx, h for hangup, dial for eznet up 0 because 'd' is taken), '. o' for 'cd /opera*; opera'. I put all his favorite sites into hotlist.html. Is there some quick way to access that with links other than typing it in, or backing up to the first site with left arrow? He is not good at aiming the mouse or remembering long sequences. Maybe a symlink to /root/hotlist.html that he can access by typing g m (for menu)?