baslinux - [BL] BL3.40 pkg "invalid tar magic"

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL3.40 pkg "invalid tar magic"
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 04:57:14 +0000 (UTC)

Unzipped bl3-40.zip and booted on a Compaq Presario 300MHz (AMD K6-2). Himem.sys prevented booting (but we may have the wrong version for DOS standalone 7.10). Attempt to access beyond end of drive. We deleted config.sys and it boots. DOS is only for installing linux from.

This computer is for a friend to access the web. We fixed his Windows 98FE too many times and it imploded recently and he does not have
the CD. He is used to kermit and opera and does not care how he gets there, and also got a Kodak camera with SD card and we can get him a card reader used for $5 and use David's 2.4.31 for downloading photos.
So we made a 64MB DOS drive and a 450MB linux drive to leave lots of space for photos.

I copied to c:\baslin

kermit for glibc 2.2.5 opera*.tgz for glibc 2.2.5
glibc 2.2.5 so

then booted into BL.

I copied kermit from DOS\baslin to /usr/local/bin
I attempted to install glibc from DOS\baslin with pkg, and then with tar.
In both cases I see (or it copied) 6 lib files in /lib/incoming and then
tar: invalid tar magic

Does tar or pkg work with glibc solibs for other people? With other SW packages from glibc SWs? I think I have used it to install .tgz packages
directly from DOS partitions. (I installed BL2 with the .tgz files in DOS). tar -ztvf works on the opera*.tar.gz, not on glibc, in 3.40.

I can use tar -ztvf in BL2 to view this same file, and the file size is the same on both computers. In BL3.40 I only see the list of six library files in /lib/incoming, which is also as far as pkg gets unpacking the tgz.

I can use tar -zcvf on two test files to make a test.tgz, which I can then
uncompress again with tar, all in /tmp of BL3.40.

I don't recall having any problem installing glibc 2.2.5 so with a previous BL3 version. But this is a new busybox tar.

I have not confirmed this problem yet on another computer.