baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3.40 pkg "invalid tar magic"

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3.40 pkg "invalid tar magic"
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:07:07 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

Unzipped bl3-40.zip and booted on a Compaq Presario 300MHz (AMD K6-2).
Himem.sys prevented booting (but we may have the wrong version for DOS
standalone 7.10). Attempt to access beyond end of drive. We deleted
config.sys and it boots. DOS is only for installing linux from.

We have 2K cluster size on this drive (also tried 1K). The other computers have 4K.

I copied to c:\baslin

kermit for glibc 2.2.5
opera*.tgz for glibc 2.2.5
glibc 2.2.5 so

then booted into BL.

I copied kermit from DOS\baslin to /usr/local/bin
I attempted to install glibc from DOS\baslin with pkg, and then with tar.
In both cases I see (or it copied) 6 lib files in /lib/incoming and then
tar: invalid tar magic

tar -ztvf works on the opera*.tar.gz, not on glibc, in 3.40.

I can use tar -ztvf in BL2 to view this same file, and the file size is
the same on both computers. In BL3.40 I only see the list of six library
files in /lib/incoming, which is also as far as pkg gets unpacking the
tgz.

There should be a lot more files going into /lib/incoming.

I have not confirmed this problem yet on another computer.

Problem is only on the Compaq so far. The Compaq was until recently our main linux computer.

I will try installing to hd anyway - maybe that will cure the problem that is occurring with the loop version.

I could if pkg fails simply copy over whatever dependencies kermit and opera have (libc libm and ld-linux?). The kermit I made for BL1 does not require ncurses.