baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera with BL 3.40 Re: BL3.40 pkg "invalid tar magic"

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera with BL 3.40 Re: BL3.40 pkg "invalid tar magic"
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 23:15:01 +0000 (UTC)

No big deal. I now have scripts
s (startx)
d (dial)
h (hangup)
l (links2 -g)
. o (opera)
. e (exitx)
m (symlink to xmenu - a file consisting of the above - just type
s to start x then m for the menu).

Is there some way to get to hotlist.html after starting links, short of a
sequence of left arrows (or history list)? Hopefully by typing one
letter, or g plus h symlinked to hotlist.html somehow. I could
not get this to work even by adding <html> .... < /html> to hotlist.html.

Putting startx in /etc/profile does indeed automatically start X, but then
if I try to use another workspace or open another rxvt (or probably run
any program from the menu while there is an rxvt on the screen) it crashes
out of X. Removing startx fixed this. Is there some way to send BL3 into
X using runlevels and if so how?

Does the inittab 'askfirst' for each tty produce
Please press Enter......
and if so can I remove it from tty1 line to bypass it?

Busybox init, which uses inittab, ignores runlevels, it says.

I was able to change the tty1 line from askfirst to respawn (I left tty2 and tty3 as askfirst) and now linux boots straight to a prompt.
Just type s for startx (with rxvt in .xinitrc) and then l or '. o' for links or opera (which still does not work online in BL3) and then q or Ctrl-q and h and exit and r (for reboot).

Our friend put a big black magic-marker dot on the period of his keyboard. Perhaps we could color code s m h d q for him. He does not touch type.
(I changed the old d to dd).

How can I start X with the menu displayed in the rxvt already? It is in /usr/sbin along with m script.