baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera with BL 3.40 Re: BL3.40 pkg "invalid tar magic"

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera with BL 3.40 Re: BL3.40 pkg "invalid tar magic"
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:51:44 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Why don't the aliases in /etc/profile work in X?

They work for me.

alias pico='e3pi'
works in console mode but not in an rxvt, nor does your alias copy.

I tried symlinking e3pi to pico and when I type pico I get a pico that works in WS mode and gives WS help screen.

How would I write a 1-letter script for Ctrl-Alt-Del?

reboot
Thanks. I will symlink that to 'r' in /sbin, or whatever other letter my friend can remember.

I will look for the little box. I dialed in BL2 X and
then exited X to use ssh, and went back into X but don't
see such a box.

You need to be running icewm.
Found it, just to the left of the other black box.

My friend knows how to watch the pink and green moving 'charts'
in the lower right to know that a website is downloading.
Maybe something happens there during dialing too.

Not during dialing. But the 'charts' box appears when the
connection is made (and disappears when the connection is
terminated).

Why do I get messages during dial in BL2 but not BL3 X, and
in console BL3 I also get them, and can I change BL3 to see
them in X?

The messages are in tty1 (assuming you ran startx from tty1).
You can see them if you do CTRL-ALT-F1
Thanks. It is enough for our friend to see the black box.

If I make a script 'o' to do this, it has to be called as '. o'
(to avoid opening another shell, I am told).

I don't understand why this is a problem. Can't you call
opera (inside o) using . ?

How do I put '. o' into .xinitrc?

I don't think that will be necessary (assuming your o script
is right).

I don't understand. Do I put into my o script:
cd /opera
. opera?

We already tried that and it 'cannot find opera'.

No big deal. I now have scripts
s (startx)
d (dial)
l (links2 -g)
. o (opera)
. e (exitx)
m (symlink to xmenu - a file consisting of the above - just type
s to start x then m for the menu). The menu also explains what each command means and how to exit links and opera (q and Ctrl-q). And to look for the black box after dialing and use up and down arrows in links. He does best seeing all the instructions on the screen. I wrote them out a few times and they got lost immediately. Hard to lose the screen.

Is there some way to get to hotlist.html after starting links, short of a sequence of left arrows (or history list)? Hopefully by typing one letter, or g plus h symlinked to hotlist.html somehow. I could not get this to work even by adding <html> .... < /html> to hotlist.html.

All our absent-minded friend needs to do is turn on the computer (it goes into BL3 in autoexec.bat), Press Enter, type s and then type l or . o, followed eventually by (Ctrl)q, then . e, then when he sees a big red COMPAQ turn off the computer. Infinitely easier than Windows and no mouse needed if we can teach him 'a q tab' in opera (assuming Opera will work online). He has a big trackball but forgets which of the 3 buttons to click, and has trouble aiming it at the entry forms.

Putting startx in /etc/profile does indeed automatically start X, but then if I try to use another workspace or open another rxvt (or probably run any program from the menu while there is an rxvt on the screen) it crashes out of X. Removing startx fixed this. Is there some way to send BL3 into X using runlevels and if so how?

Does the inittab 'askfirst' for each tty produce
Please press Enter......
and if so can I remove it from tty1 line to bypass it?

If Opera can be made to work with BL3.40-glibc, it would be
ideal for setting up people who only want computers for browsing.
- there was a $20 486 which would have been ideal (with external
modem and power supply) with either swap file or PCMCIA memory added.

Sorry, that 486 is probably too slow for Opera. I would't try
Opera with anything less than a DX4-100 (and even then only if
it had 32mb RAM). With a 486 DX-66, I'd use links2. With a
486 SX-25, links (non-graphical). With a Pentium 133, Opera.
With a Pentium II, Firefox.

I was running Opera 6 on a pentium overdrive DX486 (about the same as DX100) with 32MB RAM. It even worked in mono (no images).

My partner insists that I download and try Opera 8 in case it works with BL3 where 7.23 did not. I don't like the icons but I think they can all be deleted.