baslinux - [BL] Opera with BL 3.40 Re: BL3.40 pkg "invalid tar magic"

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Opera with BL 3.40 Re: BL3.40 pkg "invalid tar magic"
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:55:08 +0000 (UTC)

I could if pkg fails simply copy over whatever dependencies kermit and
opera have (libc libm and ld-linux?). The kermit I made for BL1 does not
require ncurses.

I am trying to set up 3.40 with kermit and opera.
The kermit I compiled for BL1 requires only libc.so.5 and libm.so.5 (no ncurses).
Opera requires glibc2.2.5:
libc.so.6
libm.so.6
ld-linux 2

These total 6.5MB, the libc5 versions 656K !!!!!

Opera also requires glibc 2.2.5 libdl (61K) and libpthread (463K).
And libX11, libXext, libSM and libICE, all of which are also required by icewm (and hopefully found in Steven's icewm package along with libXpm).

So do I need to copy over (and ldconfig) anything besides
glibc 2.2.4 libm libc ld-linux (static) libdl libpthread

and add icewm and opera? After installing to HD - opera won't fit in loop.

Steven, did you set up Opera with BL3.40 or 3.32?

With luck, my friend, who is 84 and learned to use a computer when we made him a 486 about 5 years ago, can type the name of his ISP and it will dial, connect, then start X (with icewm) and opera and go to his home page. Or dial and then type opera. He already knows how to exit opera and windows, so won't turn off linux without rebooting first. If this works, we hope to switch other friends over to linux for internet. It will save us a lot of support time because linux crashes less and does not need f-prot updates.

Eventually we can use David's 2.4.31 usb storage kernel, xli, and enough of netpbm (libc5) to shrink his photos so he can email them (with mutt?).
By then some relative will have given him a faster computer with huge hard drive instead of our 300MHz with 540MB drive.

The 8GB hard drive is having DRQ hda status timeout problems, just like it was before transplanting it from the Compaq, where the problem was fixed with hdparm. This occurs when I search the entire drive. So this had nothing to do with the tar problem or no-himem-sys boot problem.