baslinux - Re: [BL] compiling with uclibc

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] compiling with uclibc
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:09:23 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:

> For programs that don't use any of the common libraries, could I compile
> dynamically and run the programs from within uclibc, such as pilot-link,
> which needs libpilot, libc libm and ld-linux, or copy these to
> /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib or /lib and run them?

Yes. ld-uClibc.so.0 must be in /lib, but anything else can be put
anywhere in your library path.

> They are half the size of glibc-dynamic programs. uclibc-pilot
> link (many programs about 75K each) plus the uclibc libraries
> is probably still smaller than glibc-pilot link (both dynamically
> compiled).

Most dynamic uClibc binaries are about the same size as glibc
equivalents. You seem to have found an exception to the rule.

> I thought in the case of dynamically compiled programs just a small
> reference to the library was built in, so why are glibc dynamic programs
> so much larger?

Does ldd give the same output with both binaries? If it does,
the differing gcc versions may make a difference.

David