baslinux - Re: [BL] compiling with uclibc

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] compiling with uclibc
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 13:03:46 +0000 (UTC)

nOn Wed, 25 Jan 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:
Could I compile dynamically against uclibc and add uclibc to the regular
library partition(s)? It might work with some programs that won't compile
because glibc 2.1.3 or 2.2.5 are too old.

Can I compile dynamically against uclibc libc libm and ld-linux, but
statically against other libraries I have in BL already, such as ncurses?

Yes, but you will need to recompile most of those libraries that you
already have, because the glibc versions are incompatible with
the uclibc ones. That's the cost of a small library.

David

For programs that don't use any of the common libraries, could I compile dynamically and run the programs from within uclibc, such as pilot-link, which needs libpilot, libc libm and ld-linux, or copy these to /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib or /lib and run them? They are half the size of glibc-dynamic programs. uclibc-pilot link (many programs about 75K each) plus the uclibc libraries is probably still smaller than glibc-pilot link (both dynamically compiled).

I thought in the case of dynamically compiled programs just a small reference to the library was built in, so why are glibc dynamic programs so much larger?