baslinux - Re: [BL] uclibc static lynx 2.8.6dev16, lynx.lss and mplayer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] uclibc static lynx 2.8.6dev16, lynx.lss and mplayer
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:57:34 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Does uclibc Debian already have a lot of libraries and other programs
compiled dynamically against uclibc?

No, but there should be enough there to get you started.

I don't plan to compile X, if that is what you meant.
Could I compile dynamically against uclibc and add uclibc to the regular
library partition(s)? It might work with some programs that won't compile
because glibc 2.1.3 or 2.2.5 are too old.

2.2.5 too old? I doubt uClibc would work any better.

I thought 2.2.5 was five years old by now, and uclibc was planning to stay more up to date (but maybe not support the more uncommon hardware).
In which case I could add uclibc.so and compile dynamically against it and it could be used with BL3 and BL2.

Yes, you can add uclibc or libc5 to another library installation.

Are you saying I need to use X in order to compile statically?

No, I'm saying that X makes copying and pasting easier.
You can also use gpm (or screen?).

Can I make it static against uclibc but dynamic against other libraries
which I already have on my computer?

No.

Dynamic against other libraries which were compiled statically against uclibc? Or does it have to be static against everything (libjpeg, libz, libncurses, etc.)? I am really only interested in compiling for BL2.

I was impressed with your lucent modem victory.
But have never run across a 56K lucent winmodem. There are piles of
56K ISA and PCI winmodems around for $1.

You have never run across an ltmodem? You posted
several messages about them a year or so ago.

They were 33.3K, upgradeable to X2 only. The upgrade converted them to functionally 28.8K.

PCTel is also supposed to be a linmodem and I saw one somewhere.
If we can connect with the neighbor's broadband at one of our three locations we should have enough 56K hardware modems for the other two.

David