baslinux - Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB and the digital camera
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 03:00:31 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, David Moberg wrote:

On 12/6/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

Is usb mouse support also a possibility?
Computers that have no keyboard ports also have no mouse ports.

The command line does not really need a mouse. However, I will make
an add-on script for USB mice.

Tonight I took the boot disk and modules to my neighbor's house and he plugged in all his USB devices:
1) 4-port USB hub (it was recognized)
2) Sandisk Cruzer Micro memory stick - found it as sda1
3) Kodak DX3700 camera - found but no active driver for it
(vend/prod 0x40a/0x530)
4) PDA - not even found
5) Sandisk CF reader - found but no driver (vend/prod 0x4e6/0x1010)
6) mouse (into the other USB port on the computer) - found it but I think we need more modules. I tried insmodding mousedev.o from your modules.
Wireless PS/2-USB mouse, worked as USB after changing to PS2 mouse in the .config file and making the symlink between psaux and mouse.

The first edition requires you to hit Enter to login but no such message
appeared and that was confusing too.
Now it says please press Enter, but AFTER that comes all the usb stuff about hubs and devices, and again you are left with no prompt. If everything works, the last line ends in sda1.

I hit Enter to get the prompt.

We have no USB keyboard to test.

How do we enter the vend/prod id during boot or after, if we don't have any control over the boot, and are not insmodding usb-storage?
If usb-storage were a module, could we insmod usb-storage vendor=xxxx product=xxxx?

I guess we were incredibly lucky that the first Sandisk CF reader worked, and the Olympus SM reader worked, since this Sandisk ZIO does not work, with your boot disk (unless you have made serious changes - I only checked the first two on the first edition, and this last on the second edition).

You probably had a camera plugged in, and init printed that message
but you did not see it because Linux was also sending messages
about finding the camera.
It probably printed the hit Enter and then kept printing messages.
That is what happened this evening with the memory stick.

I could change the inittab entry for the first terminal to 'respawn'
so that you go directly into a prompt. The other ttys can keep the
'press Enter' prompt.
That would be helpful.

I also should reshuffle the insmods in rc so that the digital camera
messages don't interfere with the login message.

/etc/vga/libvga.config has chipset VGA as the default,
because zgv works in VGA mode and there are a large
number of VGA-compatible chipsets. You can change it if it
is too low-res for you.

Assuming zgv even works. It has struck out 3 times out of 5 computers.

Might it work with chipset VGA? I also get a blank screen if I try
chipset EGA (which I obviously do not have)

I will try that on my stripey matrox card soon. zgv worked on another S3 (Trio64).

We tried the above devices plugged into the hub, or directly. The camera sits in a cradle and you need to press a button and get a blinking light before it is found. If you boot and then press the button, it is still found.

We actually own a USB mouse and can test that if you provide modules and instructions.

David