baslinux - Re: [BL] X problem (as usual)

  • From: "mikkel Meinike-Nielsen" <mimeini AT linuxmail.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X problem (as usual)
  • Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 21:31:35 +0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
To: davidjmoberg AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 02:34:05 +0000 (UTC)

Hallow agan

> I checked and I also posted info about a 486 25MHz Contura Compaq which I
> had set up with linux, and it was monochrome not color, and it DID work
> with svgalib (in greyscale for zgv). 12MB RAM. This might be what we are
> talking about here. So the video chips might be entirely different. I
> used zgv because xvesa would not work, I think. I gave someone else the
> computer so I cannot check now. It was sort of slow in graphical mode but
> not impossibly so, and looked rather nice with zgv's switch for greyscale
> (-grey?). I forget where I got zgv - and it needed a few more libraries.
> I experimented and found it used much less RAM than X. I think I posted
> about this too. But zgv (svgalib) won't work on my newer Compaq 486
> (75MHz). Black screen, I think it was.

Ok this might be the thing. This description is close to my laptop I only
have 8 mb ram but anyway. Is svgalib already in BL3 ore should I get it from
slackware 4.0 (I see the abiword addon is for svgalib) and then this zgv I
don't know where to find that. It would be cool. Than I would be able to run
links2.

vga16 I have tried with mulinux, but I think it is to slow, then I rater use
DOS grafic witch is quit fast and BL3 is so fast booting so switching make no
big deal.

Can I make a normal user in BL? it seems adduser won't work.

Thanks for all the comment so fare. This is exiting.
/Mikkel