baslinux - [BL] Megahertz 10MBit PCMCIA ethernet card in BL2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Megahertz 10MBit PCMCIA ethernet card in BL2
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 23:50:50 +0000 (UTC)

We have a desktop PCMCIA slot that works in DOS.

I am trying to make it work in BL2 because 'loop'
does not work on this computer and I can't get the ethernet cable working between it and the computer with BL3 ext2 (though both computers will transfer files between a third one via ethernet).

WHen I tried to insmod loop there is some complaint about major number 7 not working. We have three such computers.

I copied over from BL3 to BL2 the contents of /etc/pcmcia.

I copied over the modules to /lib/modules/2.2.16/pcmcia and also got the correct module for the Megahertz ethernet card: smc91c92_cs.o (from SW7.1).

I unpacked pcmcia.tgz and extracted cardmgr to /usr/sbin (as in BL3).

I modified /etc/pcmcia/config as follows:

(I left in the device"pcnet_cs" section).

device "smc91c92_cs"
class "network" module "misc/8390", "smc91c92_cs"
card "Network Card"
function network_adapter
# bind "pcnet_cs"
bind "smc91c92_cs"

(this is a rare card that does not use the pcnet_cs module)

I put the card into the slot (with the 'dongle' dangling - I will need to get a crossover adaptor for it for $2 at the radio store).

I typed /etc/pcmcia/start:

The modules got loaded.

But :
cardmgr[301]: coudl not adjust resource: IO ports 0xc00-0xcff: Device or resource busy
Same for 0x800-0x8ff 0x100-ox4ff
But for: 0xc0000-oxfffff: Input/output error

This computer is known to be a bit odd (won't work with loop module).
The slot is not your normal pcmcia in a laptop, and is probably rather old.

Do I need to further modify config where I include port or include memory? The problem seems to be partly with 0x800-x8ff and 0xc00000-0xfffff, which I find in config and also in my error messages.

Config reads:
include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0x800-0x8ff, port 0xc00-oxcff
include memory 0xc00000-0xfffff

I have very little experience with pcmcia. Got the modems working with Steven's default setup (in BL3 on a laptop) and also the Compact Flash card adaptor (had to add a device and card for that by querying the card with cardmgr for the relevant info). This seems to be a new problem.

Which I may have compounded by using a very old slot, a nonstandard ethernet card, and my own 'installation' of pcmcia in BL2.

We don't have BL2 on a laptop (need to get the ethernet card working first to transfer it) and BL3 would not work on the desktop so I have just jumped in over my head as usual. Maybe I should try the card in BL3 on a laptop first but this desktop needed setting up anyway for the pcmcia.

Ten brownie points for whoever solves this puzzle.

Sindi

What is rogue? Three people at sdf have been running it for hours and things are very sluggish as they are using most of cpu.
Hard to correct errors.