baslinux - Re: [BL] Megahertz 10MBit PCMCIA ethernet card in BL2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Megahertz 10MBit PCMCIA ethernet card in BL2
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 19:18:56 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

This pcmcia ethernet card is recognized when I type /etc/pcmcia/start, on
the same computer under BL3, with the same modules and config file, so I
must be missing something else in BL2.

The card also works in BL2 if I insert it BEFORE I boot (same for BL3, otherwise I got an error message).

Maybe BL does not do 'hot plug'.

/etc/rc insmodde the rtl8139 module and did ifconfig eth0 at boot, and before I could get the card to actually transmit, I had to ifconfig eth0 down and rmmod rtl8139 and then rmmod the smc module and insmod it again and ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 again before it would work, otherwise I got error messages.

The computer has a PCI ethernet card (which I could not get to work with the computer next to it, but it works with three other computers, at least one of which works with the computer next to this one for ethernet). They are all rtl8139 cards - why won't the first two work together?

We now have BL2 doing nearly everything that BL3 can do (have not tried swm or magicpoint yet) except Abiword. netpbm required adding libc5.
And with this ethernet card working, we can easily copy both BLs to the latest laptop computer (after replacing the Redhat 128MB swap partition with a swap file and redoing 40MB of OS/2 partition).

Either of these BLs should be a suitable base for upgrading with glibc 2.2.5 or later to use things like Opera and precompiled xpdf.

Opera 7.5.4 is not showing me an ad banner.