baslinux - Re: [BL] dosemu

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] dosemu
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 00:28:17 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Ron Clarke wrote:

Hi Sindi,

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 02:16:36 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

I will set up a BL2 and a BL3 download directories and post to this list.
Let me know what I should copy over from you, the URL where they are, and
which BL they are for.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl has the files
/blfiles.htm describes them

Please mirror gs850.tgz and the lynx package (which I think James also
has) and David's dosemu.tgz They are for BL2 - the former with upgraded
libc 2.2.5. And you can put a link to the others, or to the .htm file
with explanations of how to install/use them.

Thanks, and if you want to post a link to my explanations of what to do with them feel free. Please also post my netpbm package and the tifftopnm.gz update that David compiled.

I have set up the directories from: http://www.ausreg.com/bl/
which feeds either BL2 or BL3.

I have already uploaded to BL2: dosemu.tgz, the freedos....tgz that goes
with it, and gs850.tgz.
I will upload the static lynx next time I am online.

I have still to fix up the .html pages, so it is very bare-bones at the
moment.

Why use pkzip instead of linux unzip?

Because the Linux unzip doesn't work in DOS. :)

But you could switch terminals to unzip something from linux.

It is more convenient to use DOS progs in dosemu than to keep switching
backwards and forwards - for me, anyway. And its not as if room is a problem.
My BL2 (modified) installation in which I am running dosemu is on a 32 GB
partition.

Dosemu is only on the terminal you started it from. You could be running
BL2 on another terminal, and BL3 on a third terminal..

:)

I don't think you really meant that. :)

I did too mean that.
vt1 - run dosemu
vt2 - run BL2
vt3 - mount the BL3 partition and chroot to it to run BL3
chroot /dev/hdb1 /bin/sh --login

Is there some small viewer for X that adjusts image size properly?

zgv is still a good option. But you will find QuickView for Linux to
be one of the best.
Is it precompiled for slackware?

I got my zgv from DeliLinux.

Me too.

QuickView is compiled for "Linux". It works out of the box in BL2, but not in BL3.

I will take a look at their home page, unless you want to post it at your site.

I don't have WP51 for DOS to look at. Any idea where it can be
downloaded ?

It is not freeware.

No, I didn't think think it would be. Oh, well !

What is DOS controller?

It is a DOS port of Midnight Commander (approximately) but a bit
easier to configure. It has become my file-manager of choice for DOS.
Unfortunately, under dosemu it doesn't find any of the "disks" except a:
- the floppy drive, and that makes it unusable.

Oops ! I should have said that it is a development on from Norton
Commander, written in assembly, but with some coding errors taken out. It is
very quick, and can act as a thin shell for commandline calls.
For DOS, I recommend it. I will post it on my site.

Odd.

It seems that it doesn't deal nicely with "networked drives", which is what
c:, d: show up as in dosemu.
It runs happily with both panels logged into a: . :(

I have found the following also usable under (x)dosemu: Breeze (word
processor) clock damp (MP3 player) df46 (file manager) display
(graphics viewer) dosamp (mp3 player) file maven (file transfer)
laplink (file transfer) mxdir (fancy version of "dir") ndn
(Necromancer's DOS Navigator) pv (graphics and avi player) sea
(graphics) view (document viewer) mpeg.exe (mpeg player)

Good to know about laplink. Saves learning to do a serial cable file
transfer.

It's only good for drive to drive. Unless David has a way to access the
parallel port from within dosemu, there is no way to talk to another computer.

I have SEA3. Have you tried QPV (quick picture viewer) and
DISPLAY (viewer, free).

Yes, they both work OK.

QPV needed DOS4GW and wont' even work easily with
DR-DOS.

It runs OK in dosemu.

Regards,
Ron