baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 20:37:26 +0000 (UTC)

I did some web research on sb16, linux kernel 2.2.* and error message

Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
(Multiple times)

It was like the three men trying to describe an elephant:

1. This is a conflict between PCI and an ISA SB16 sound card trying to use the same IRQ or DRQ. (I tried different DMAs, no help, and there is no other IRQ but 7 available. I have some PCI sound cards to try but they would need different kernel modules and maybe a different kernel).

2. ALSA drivers can fix the problem with playing mp3s on Vibra16.
(I was going to try this next).

3. A third person spent several pages describing what he did to get his Vibra16 pnp card working with kernel 2.1.132 and 2.2.0-pre5, on a dual 300MHz Tyan, most of which was not relevant to my case, but he did mention that au files played, but mp3 files do not play, and that mp3 files write data to /dev/dsp.

He provided all of dmesg, and a Windows file (it all worked in Windows), and the line in which he set

io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=3.

In my case DOS was happy with low dma (dma8) = 3 and high dma (dma16) = 5

Since my monochrome-graphics-parport card already took irq 5 and dma 1, I had to change the settings on the awe64 card to irq7 low dma 3 high dma 5 (I used Win98 but isapnptools might have worked too). Or remove the parport card, but I need it since the onboard printer port is broken. (I can look for a parport card with irq=7 and dma=0 but this setup is now working, except for DOS and linux awe support).

THE FOLLOWING WORKED!!!

insmod sb io=0x220 irq=7 dma=3 dma16=5
(dma8 does not work, plain dma does)

(For most situations, without a 1980s parport card installed, irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 would have worked.)

The dma16 was not necessary on two PI computers, where DMA 5 was probably not in use. I wonder what is using it. Linux did not tell me.

mpg123 vivaldi.mp3 is currently playing. mplayer for p2 also played it.

I am still not getting any sound from the DVD, but Ctrl-C does stop it, after which it won't take commands until I do a reset.

dvd -vo vesa -ao oss -dvd-device /dev/hdd dvd://1

(Same with or without the -ao oss.)

I will try streaming mp3 on that computer and then download the latest mplayer to try on PI and K6.

I may try RealOne on the DVD after getting the (huge) video driver for Nvidia. Picture quality with 600MHz PIII and 64-MB Nvidia card is perfect.

Does ALSA sound work on the SW71 kernel, and if so how?
Did anyone get mplayer to play DVDs in BL2, with sound, using OSS (Christof's package for SB16)?

Thanks to all (especially the person who posted full details about au, mp3, and dma16).