baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 22:34:28 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> > Does mplayer -ao pcm work now?? There is no way that it should depend
> > on a good sound driver.
>
> It had a DMA conflict, apparently.

I'm very puzzled. How would a DMA conflict affect something that's
basically a filter?

> Yes -ao pcm produces an audiodump.wav file, about 10 times the size
> of the mp3 file. This is using the mplayer for the p2.
>
> The version of mplayer for alsa (version 2) has the same problem it
> did before I got the sound working with version 1 and mpg123, which
> are still working. It gets as far as Detected cache-line size is
> 32 bytes.

No other clues?

> Maybe version 3 (once I get an uncorrupted copy) will work on both
> computers?

I just finished uploading a new version. I still don't know what corrupted
the first one. I should download and test it now.

> > Try without a -vo option, so you can see the output of MPlayer. Are
> > there any errors/warnings which may be relevant?
>
> Without -vo specified (from the CLI) I am now getting sound!!!!!
> mplayer -dvd-device /dev/hdd dvd://1
>
> Maybe VESA interfered with sound. I will try with X11 (Xvesa),
> first loading X.

Is there still no sound with vesa?

> mplayer -vo X11 -dvd-device /dev/hdd dvd://1
>
> Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.

It's "x11" not "X11". MPlayer is picky about capitalization.

> Without -vo:
>
> mplayer -dvd-device /dev/hdd dvd://1 WORKS!

X11 is automatically detected. I assume that sound worked too.

> I tried to maximize the window but the picture stayed small.

Add the "-zoom" option to scale things up.

> I have about an 8" screen - is this adjustable?

Yes. The manpage details the options to set the size on the
command line.

> The VESA picture was full-screen. I could
> try setting up X SVGA and fiddling with settings.

It should behave the same way. For more speed, set the X
resolution to the size of the DVD playback window. (The X11
output driver will use software scaling if card-specific
drivers are not correctly installed. Software scaling is
slow.)

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com