baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 13:44:00 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> >> I have not tried playing the library DVD. Hopefully DVD sound is
> >> .wav not .mp3. I can play .wav with play or mplayer on here, just
> >> not mp3s.
> >
> > If it is the CPU, you will likely have major problems with DVD output.
>
> If someone can explain how to play a DVD in one easy lesson I will
> try that tonight. I got a DVD. How do I start at track 1 and play
> sound and video?

mplayer -vo x11 -dvd-device /dev/hdd dvd://1

/dev/hdd should be the name of your DVD drive. For maximum speed (if
your graphics card supports VESA 2.0) you may use the vesa output
driver instead of x11. You may improve performace by using the
"-framedrop" option, and/or the "-vc ffmpeg" option. That's DVDs
with MPlayer 101.

The PII version should play sound if everything else is OK. I
doubt it will until you can resolve the problem which is
hampering MP3 playback.

> > Can you tell mpg123 to write out to a wave file? Use the "-w
> > audiodump.wav" option to make it behave like MPlayer -ao pcm.
>
> I will try that next.

I don't think you said what the result of this was. Did I miss it?

> >> Or why neither version of mplayer will play mp3s but will play wavs?
> >
> > Perhaps a chipset problem. Or else play only works with certain wav
> > files.
>
> I can play any wav file I tried with both play and mplayer on this
> 600MHz computer.

Are any of these CD-quality? Does play give any warnings?

> > You may want to get a newer kernel with bells and whistles. ALSA is
> > superior to OSS for sound. For those with minimal sound needs, OSS
> > works just fine. If you want an easy installation or more features,
> > ALSA is better.
>
> Do you think a newer kernel will work with this board to play mp3s?

No. It may be worth a try, but I suspect that a newer kernel will not
help. The problem appears to be whatever is causing MPlayer to stumble.

> Would I have to switch to ALSA?

No. Newer kernels still offer OSS. In fact, many do not even come with
ALSA drivers. My main point was that a newer kernel would probably
require less effort to get audio working in general.

> I only know how to use sox and
> Christof's package. I have SW81 CDs and can give this a try
> (booting with newer bare.i kernel and copying the SW81 modules for
> sound to a different directory - I may not even need all the
> modules with bare.i).
>
> If it plays DVDs I will use it for that and play streaming audio on
> the 233MHz computer instead.

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com