baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 15:57:19 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> I just typed:
>
> mplayer -vo vesa -dvd-device /dev/hdd dvd://1
>
> It plays nice quality video and skips all the introductory warnings
> and menus and previews. I cannot switch vts to see what processes
> are in use, whether it is trying to play wav or mp3.

You're using the vesa driver, which is a horrible kludge. (but it
works great!) If you have the CPU power, you can use X11 instead,
which is much slower but is more reliable.

> There is no sound at all.

Please see if you can figure out what is causing this.

> I will find some 'foreign
> language' DVDs so I can read the subtitles while I keep working on
> the sound problem. Or do DVDs provide closed caption?

I haven't tried captioning with MPlayer. I do believe that it is
supported. Not all DVDs come with subtitles. Foreign language DVDs
may not have captions by default.

> Does this mean I was viewing at 854x480?

Add the -noaspect option to play at the "standard" resolution.
This also speeds things up a little. You can do all kinds of
goofy resizes to the video with MPlayer (the kitchen sink of
video players)

> I wonder how to STOP the DVD player other than Ctrl-Alt-Del. Good
> thing you included the documentation. Ctrl-C does not do it.

Pressing Esc twice usually does the trick.

> Maybe Mplayer #3 will work where the first two did not, and play
> mp3s on the PIII?

You seem to have resolved this in your second message.

MPlayer #3 is a hybrid of the first two. It can work on any CPU,
and use standard OSS drivers simultaneously.

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com