baslinux - Re: BL streaming MP3, was Re: [BL] Re: broken windows needs replacing

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: BL streaming MP3, was Re: [BL] Re: broken windows needs replacing
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:29:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I have made aliases for playing five radio stations with
mpg123 and since I cannot recall all the station names,
I made a small script: echo 'wdav 24k, kcme 32k,......'
(chmod +x) and called it radio, and put it on the path.
(And aliases for the stations in .profile)

Why don't you do a menu? Something as simple as
this should work:
select i in wdav kcme wabc wxyz; do $i; done

It worked after I also made scripts for wdav etc. I called the menu rad (first I tried rm for radiomenu, with predictable results) and when I type rad I see a list

1) wdav
2) kcme

I type 1 for wdav. I can also type wdav to use the wdav script directly.

Since I also want information about each station, I then modified the select line and substituted for wdav the string 'wdav - 24K, Davidson NC'
etc., which gives me

1) wdav - 24K, Davidson NC 4) .....
2) kcme - 32K, Colorado Springs 5) .....
3) ...

To exit the menu I type Ctrl-C - is there a better way to exit?

For a fancier menu, you could use "read" and "case".
Have a look inside the "pppsetup" or "mail" scripts
to see how this is done.

There is no need for all those aliases when you have
a proper menu (using read/case).

You don't even need the aliases if you have scripts wdav etc.
It is just easier for me to keep all my changes in one big file since I move them around between computers. Your following suggestion would eliminate the need for more than one script, but then I don't think I could just type the station name without first using the menu.

In the case statement, you can specify options by putting
a | between them. For example:
----------------------------------
case $answer in
wdav|1)
[your command(s) to start wdav]
;;
kcme|2)
[your command(s) to start kcme]
;;
esac

That lets you use either the number or name to choose.

For [your command...] would I substitute here the line with
wget and mpg123 instead of needing a script for each station?

I don't know how to add station info (24K) in this method.