baslinux - Re: BL streaming MP3, was Re: [BL] Re: broken windows needs replacing

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: BL streaming MP3, was Re: [BL] Re: broken windows needs replacing
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 17:38:27 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> I am going to need to compile this for linux first. (No /bin/sh in
> DOS

Or make a batch file in DOS.

> wvware requires libpng and I will compile for BL2 (with
> glibc2.2.5).

According to the website, libpng is only needed for embedded images.
It's optional.

> The netpbm pngtopnm and pnmtopng you compiled most
> recently require libpng which I think you compiled for libc5.
> libpng.so.3. I have libpng.so.2 from SW7.1 in BL2. How would I go
> about compiling dynamically so that I used libpng.so.2 other than
> by simply not having libpng.so.3 on the computer?

Replace -lpng with /usr/lib/libpng.so.2 when you link it.

> Or should I
> compile statically (for libz and libpng) so that wvware will also
> work in BL3 once you add glibc 2.2.5?

Why? If you need to download a new glibc, you might as well update
libz and png as well.

> I am thinking of using the statically compiled pngotpnm/pnmtopng
> with my netpbm package but then having a second add-on package
> just for BL3 which overwrites those files with the dynamically
> compiled one while adding libpng (for libc5), and also omitting the
> tiff programs and library from the main package but including them
> in the add-on package. Some day if you want to compile the tiff
> programs statically (or explain to me how to compile just those
> files and not the whole package)

All of the netpbm binaries depend upon libnetpbm, so I don't see any
advantage to manually compiling some of them.

> I can put them in the main package. That way there would be no
> problems of having a libc5-dependent tiff or png library in BL2,
> which when I symlinked to it kept links2 from delinux from
> working (it needs a glibc version).

Are there no glibc2 netpbm binaries? I think it is very rare to
have netpbm binaries intended for BL3 on a BL2 system with an
incompatible libtiff. In any case, you can always move libtiff
out of your standard library path and somewhere else if you need
to use links2.

> > wvware 1.doc > 1.doc.html
> > wvware 2.doc > 2.doc.html
>
> Could I do this with files named abc.doc def.doc etc. or must they
> be sequentially numbered?

There are no filename limitations beyond the basic OS limits.

> > To use a different extension than doc.html, you'd probably need a sed
> > script, too.
>
> I don't care what the output .html files are named when I am only
> interested in the accompanying .png files. Each html file here
> consists of a link to a .png file. I don't know whether the png
> file from Doc2.doc (the first of one) will come out named
> differently from the one from Doc1.doc - will have to experiment
> some more. At least I now have netpbm to print the png files
> (pngtopnm, pbmtolj). I can't think of any way to do a 1-pass
> convert (doc to html and png) and print the png (via pbm).

A shell script?

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com