baslinux - Re: BL streaming MP3, was Re: [BL] Re: broken windows needs replacing

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: BL streaming MP3, was Re: [BL] Re: broken windows needs replacing
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:01:40 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

wget -O - http://audio.ibiblio.org:8000/wdav-24k| mpg123 - works

Much of the time, even in the middle of the day, I still get 504 busy messages at this site but if I 'attack dial' after 2-3 tries I get through. I just keep hitting the up arrow to repeat my previous command but one time I got a '404 not found'. Odd.

The problem is that I keep losing the station - when there is too big a cutout it seems to time out or something and I have to start over. 1-2 sec is okay, it comes back. Has been okay now for a minute, no gaps.

It is not ideal to listen with frequent gaps but the quality is quite a bit better otherwise than a hissy station from 75 miles away broadcast over the air.

This approach does NOT work (nothing happens) with stations of the format

http://www.live365.com/play/kcme, but plain mpg123 works on them.

I will be making aliases for all the stations so I can just type

sound-on

and then

kcme or wdav

David, thanks for all the help with this and let me know if you have other ideas for buffering. This will help keep the office temperature down slightly if I listen to streaming MP3 in the summer instead of the radio. I have a pair of nice Spacetech battery-operated speakers that work without a battery and the default volume (the battery is used to decrease vol) is fine for this station but does slackware provide some vol control and if so in what packages? Not in sox (which has play for wav files), or mp3 (mpg123) or workbone (cd player), all in /ap1.

wdav has been behaving very nicely and plays only good music. (I spoke too soon, more frequent cutouts).