baslinux - Re: BL streaming MP3, was Re: [BL] Re: broken windows needs replacing

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: BL streaming MP3, was Re: [BL] Re: broken windows needs replacing
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 01:01:03 +0000 (UTC)

wget -O - http://audio.ibiblio.org:8000/wdav-24k| mpg123 - works

This approach does NOT work (nothing happens) with stations of the format

http://www.live365.com/play/kcme, but plain mpg123 works on them.

I cannot even with Opera figure out how to use this site. I signed up and accepted all cookies and cannot figure out how to actually play, after setting speed to 32K.

For most of the sites here you just get a message saying to log in but I could play
..../kcme (32K but clear)
/wmnr (24K)
/whrb - but it is 56K

I found 34 pages of lists of public radio stations, some of which are online, some of those do streaming MP3 (ignore instructions to use Winamp or Realaudio), some are too fast for modem, but I got the following working and have dozens more to try out:

KUHF: http://live.str3am.com:2210/kuhf24k.mp3
WUOL: http://68.142.97.162:7070/wuol20k.mp3

The web is littered with dead links to streaming mp3 sites.

Many stations offer a choice of realaudio or windows media player, fewer offer streaming mp3. There is now something called smil format. ???