baslinux - Re: BL streaming MP3, was Re: [BL] Re: broken windows needs replacing

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: BL streaming MP3, was Re: [BL] Re: broken windows needs replacing
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:32:30 +0000 (UTC)

My partner listens to Recordings for the Blind and Physically
Handicapped. They are still sending out tapes but will probably
switch to CD. He wonders if he can rip the CD to mp3 and somehow
speed it up (delete one out of three sampled bits) since he likes to
listen faster. He has modified tape players to let him adjust the
speed (different size pulleys, resistors, switches - various
approaches).

There are several different ways to do this.

Adjusting a tape player motor skews the pitch, too. mpg123 can play
every other frame if you want it to, which keeps the pitch normal
but sounds like an auctioneer hollering out bids.

mpg123 -d 2 stream.mp3

This worked (integral multiple, but not a fraction). I was able to listen to Pachelbel's Canon twice as fast. I doubt that a book on tape would be understandable at more than 1.5X. When I tried to listen to streaming audio this way it sounded peculiar but not faster.

cdparanoia's output can be piped to sox and sped up or slowed down
as needed. Real-time digital playback from track 1 on a CD:

cdparanoia -rqZ "1" - | play -traw -r 44100 -f s -s w -c 2 -

Sped up by a factor of 1.5 ala a tape player:

cdparanoia -rqZ "1" - | play -traw -r 44100 -f s -s w -c 2 - speed 1.5

(you can also just change the 44100 sampling rate to something higher)

I tried with 'play' on a .wav file, and setting the rate to 22050 makes it it slower but faster rates are considered 'bogus'. 88200 or 66150 are bogus.

Sped up with normal pitch:

cdparanoia -rqZ "1" - | play -traw -r 44100 -f s -s w -c 2 - stretch .75

Got the cdparanoia package from SW81 (not found in SW71) and tried to make it work. It treats things as scsi so I did insmod scsi_mod, sr_mod, sg, then mknod sr0 c 11 0 and ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom.

I tried using your first suggestion (play one track normal speed) and if I add -v for verbose it tells me 'unable to open cdrom drive' and '-traw is not a number'. Help!

cdda2wav can do something similar.
I cannot figure this out either. -p for play does not seem to work.

Both programs made me large .raw or .wav files which I could play with play but I cannot even get it to change speeds that way, playing the file directly. cdparanoia says that unless you have a jittery cd-rom drive (I have lots of these) or a scratched disk, cdda2wav should be adequate and it is simpler to get going. cdda2wav works with jittery drives, it is just slower. Even a relatively unjittery drive is ripping at 1X on a 40X drive, so I may try cdparanoia (or switch drives again - the last was worse).

David