baslinux - Re: BL streaming MP3, was Re: [BL] Re: broken windows needs replacing

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: BL streaming MP3, was Re: [BL] Re: broken windows needs replacing
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:02:23 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, James Miller wrote:

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

I don't think there is much point to my getting a better mp3 player without a better ISP. My 'faster' ISP (the one that does 24K with a few blips) is also free (10 hours/month) and probably overcrowded. The unlimited free account (at a local community college) did not even work at 24K. I wonder if paying $5/month (no webspace or telephone support) would provide a faster connection. It is getting a bit annoying to download programs at a fluctuating 0-2.7K and get bumped off after 62 minutes and not be able to access google (lynx times out and starts looking for www.google.com.edu) after 4 pm.

Last time I tried Realaudio it was with a paid ISP. I should put BL3 and an MP3 player onto the parport drive and try it out on someone else's connection. I have glibc 2.2.5 in BL3 for use with xpdf and opera and I can simply copy over the BL2 mpg123. I will up the .img size to 60MB.
I would probably also need an external 56K modem. A neighbor with linux is also shopping for a cheap ISP.

As an sdf member Sindi, you should look into their internet service package. It is the best and cheapest I've seen. They used to have some middleman handling this for them, but they got fed up with the instability (those people would go out of business and so forth) so they decided to be their own, direct ISP. For members (and it only costs a dollar for a lifetime membership) it costs $84.00 per year for as near truly unlimited connection time per month (over 700 hrs.). That's $6/mo. If you want to pay for shorter
Actually $84/12 = $7 ;=) I read about this but thought it was only the cost of direct dialing sdf, not a way to access the internet. Will look closer.

My one and only usable MP3 streamer is doing traffic reports now ;=(
Between 4 and 7. But also music. North Carolina.

periods--e.g., quarterly, monthly--the price goes up slightly. I think the most expensive is the monthly--$10 per month. If you want a paid ISP, this is definitely the one to go with. If you need details on signing up, contact me offlist: I just helped a friend sign up (it's a little hard to figure out from their web page: it's not really a commercial endeavor).

Are you SURE this is access to something other than just sdf itself?
I pay $6/month to support our local bbs without internet access, much of which goes for the phone lines and the rest for broadband service.

James