baslinux - [BL] ISDN

  • From: "David Lane" <Jaypooh3 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] ISDN
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:32:44 -0400

Sindi,

As others have told you,ISDN takes a different modem (ISDN is all
digital),the phone company must remove all the amplifiers in your line and
load coils,AND takes a converter to use your standard phone.
For what it is you do,I'd check into DSL Lite,it's a technology a lot of
Telcos (phone companies) offer as a lower priced alternative to full dsl.It
offers around 256k down and 128k up for less than the price of most dial-up
ISPs.Most offer order online ability so the activation fee and modem price
can be rebated.Plus you get the "always on" capability of cable.I get full
DSL in my area for 25.00$ a mo which is less than AOL dial-up and much
faster.Plus you can talk on your phone and surf the net,something ISDN and
dial-up prevent.
In the long term,it's a good investment,as any PC you have only needs an
ethernet card to allow it on the internet,something very handy when FTPing
those slackware files.DSL lite is generally available for 19.00$ or less a
mo.If you ever get DSL,let me know,I'll help you set it up.God knows I did
it for a living long enough...........lol.

Take care,
David Lane