baslinux - Re: [BL] ISDN

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ISDN
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 04:07:17 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, David Lane wrote:

DSL is site specific,so your right,that won't cut it.Neither would ISDN for
the same reason.Some sort of dial-up is the only alternative in that
respect,and since line quality will vary,so will connection and download
speed.
AOL is more than a waste of money,it's a very good way to waste every
resource your system has as well as making reformatting and installing a
past-time.

Our friend who still uses it had to get a computer with more space and memory because she insisted on using the latest version of AOL and Windows. Within a month XP filled up her hard drive and now my partner will be biking out there to put in a larger one for her. She was happy to find that AOL radio now works (with 128MB RAM). I had Realaudio working just fine with several versions ago of AOL on her older computer in 48MB RAM. AOL radio manages to waste a lot more memory somehow.

A telephone company ISP is usually the most stable (more modems) but
James makes the SDF sound pretty good.Could you send me the link to their
web-page,I'd like to check it out.

sdf.lonestar.org - and if you send them $36 you get 300 MB disk space (split between home directory, web space, and mail) and the use of all the programs here. I was able to shrink a 1.1MB photo to 1/20 the size before downloading it (djpeg). And convert WORD files with antiword before downloading (or read them online). Pine or mutt mail. A friendly bulletin board. Spamassassin. NetBSD. I have not yet managed to get the up arrow to produce my previous command with the default korn shell.
You can use email before they get your money. Just $1 buys less disk space (30MB?). At my regular bbs we get 1Mx3.

David Lane