baslinux - Re: BL streaming MP3, was Re: [BL] Re: broken windows needs replacing

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: BL streaming MP3, was Re: [BL] Re: broken windows needs replacing
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:53:50 +0000 (UTC)

In some cases (using some glibc functions) however, you still need the libraries for some functions.

A libc5 version should work in BL2 since I already added libc5 for netpbm. (But in my experience lynx compiled completely statically refused to work online until I gave it glibc6. Worked fine offline.)

You see, here's the issue I was talking about. The networking functions in glibc require you to have glibc installed.

Thanks, I could not make sense of this. The person who helped me compile was also puzzled when it would not work in BL3 without upgrading libc.

Mplayer looked like it had 25MB of dependencies. How big is your static version?

5MB uncompressed. Unleashing bzip2 on it squashed it down to 2.2MB.
Keep in mind that this has nearly everything. DVD support, and also
85 audio codecs, 192 video codecs, X11, FB, basic VESA video, several
audio drivers, blah blah blah.

If you'd like me to compile Mplayer or pretty well anything I'd gladly have that done (I have access to a 3Ghz, 4Gig of RAM box for building packages).

Many thanks. Right now I cannot keep up with all the nice programs and the kernel that David has compiled for BL, especially if he posts Mplayer, which he seems to have compiled extra small - was this using uClibc?

Or maybe you want to compile a really minimal Mplayer that plays Realaudio, Windows Media Player, Ogg Vorbis, and MP3 files but no video or anything graphical? Static so it would work for BL3 or BL2 (or at least including all but libc). I got confused just reading the requirements.
The age hardware supported by BL is not supposed to include DVD-drives or really be fast enough to play movies.

Perhaps other BL3 users would like xpdf for libc5 - the precompiled online version requires glibc2.2.5.

Stephen Clement