baslinux - Re: [BL] finally found what I have been looking for

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] finally found what I have been looking for
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 17:13:44 +0000 (UTC)

Or does 2.4.x support USB better somehow? I have kernel source on CD for SW81.

I think you needed 2.4 for the hotplug option.

If it has a memory card but not a card reader does it use Mass Storage?

It could be either.
Any way to predict before purchasing a camera? Which method do you find easier to learn or use?

I found a list of 500 or so cameras supported by gphoto2 (which is 500k source code and 3MB library to include all current cameras they could, or even larger if you want a gui frontend), and a much smaller list that work as USB mass storage devices. There is some overlap among the Olympus cameras in the C-series.

There may be a way to use non-mass-storage cameras without gphoto2 but with the module dc2xx.o instead (Kodak and HP), or mdc800.o (Mustek MDC-800). Sony-P5 and F707 use mass-storage or PTP/jphoto.

I also ran across a smartmedia to PCMCIA adaptor (James had mentioned compact flash to PCMCIA) and Olympus made (and sells refurbished) a P-400 photo printer that takes either type of memory (or a P-300 that takes only smartmedia). Do these printers, which accept memory cards, or USB or parport input from a computer, also work as card readers? (Can they send the photo back to the computer, functioning themselves as USB mass storage devices)? I think it said they have LCD displays to view the photos with.

We expect to be given three broken USB cameras to play with and they might work enough to at least learn on.