baslinux - Re: [BL] finally found what I have been looking for

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] finally found what I have been looking for
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:27:27 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> Delinux (Slackware 7.1 based original) now has kernel 2.2.26 and
> their standard ide kernel has USB support (via modules of all
> sorts). That would be easier than compiling my own, though it is
> 902K. Only needed on rare occasions if we ever get a working USB
> camera and don't want to get a flash IDE adaptor. Delinux ought
> to have matching modules in case we wanted to use ppp slhc parport
> etc. at the same time (to email or print photos).
>
> Did you compile something smaller than this?

Barely. ~520KB bzImage. Almost everything =M.

> I don't want to have to get hold of kernel source.
>
> > scsi_mod
> > sd_mod
> > usbcore
> > usb-uhci (or equivalent USB host module)
> > usb-storage
>
> For a digital camera with USB cable is it uhci or ohci? I have no
> experience with USB except for one Windows scanner.

Depends on your USB Host Controller in your PC. All recent boards with
Intel PCI controllers, and VIA PCI controllers, can use uhci or usb-uhci.
SiS, ALi chipsets are ohci. Note that not all USB cameras use Mass Storage.
For those that aren't, you need gphoto2 and only these modules:

usbcore
usb-uhci or uhci or ohci

Then you need to set up a hotplugging driver. Details on that are available
with gphoto2 documentation.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com